Using Recovery Storage Group to Mount a Blank Database and Merge Data
Using Recovery Storage Group feature in E2K3, you can mount a second copy of an Exchange database on the same server as the original mailbox store, or on any other Exchange server that is in the same administrative group. You can use the Recovery Storage Group feature to recover mailbox data without having to install or configure a separate Exchange recovery server.
This article contains information about using Recovery Storage Group feature to swap the database and merge mailbox data often known as Dial tone recovery.
2. In this case the actual databases are as indicated below:
3. Rename the database to Priv2.edb and Priv2.stm as below:
4. Once the same is done, delete or move all the log files from E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr and then mount stores from ESM.
5. It may indicate a warning. Please click on OK as below:
6. Once the same is done, right click on the Server name and click NEW -> Recovery Storage Group.
7. Point the transaction log location to C:\ Drive for the below screen:
8. Now right click on Recovery Storage Group and click on “Add database to recover”
9. Chose the mailbox store for our server from below:
10. On the database tab in the next screen point the drives to C:\
11. Once the same is done, click OK and mount the database under RSG.
12. It may indicate a warning :
13. Click YES and then once the same is mounted, dismount it immediately.
14. Copy the priv2.edb and priv2.stm from E:\Program Files\Exchsrvsr\MDBDATA to E:\Program Files\Exchsrvsr\ Recovery Storage Group along with the new databases which are named as Mailbox store (SERVERNAME).
15. Create a TEMP Folder and move the new databases Mailbox store (SERVERNAME).edb and Mailbox store (SERVERNAME).stm into the TEMP Folder along with the R00 Logs.
16.Now rename the Priv2.edb (Step3) to RSG database Mailbox store (SERVERNAME).edb and Priv2.stm to Mailbox store (SERVERNAME).stm. This process is known as Dial tone recovery
17. Now mount the mailbox store under RSG Once more and Click on YES for the warning message.
18. Now, click on Mailboxes under Mailbox store under RSG.
19. On the right hand side, select 3-4 mailboxes.
20. Right click on them and click on Exchange tasks:
21. Complete the wizard as shown below:
22.Perform the same for all the mailboxes and check with mail flow.