What about the OAL Generator events I see on my Exchange servers? (Event ID 9325 – OAL Generator)
(Looks like this is not documented in detail elsewhere)
Of late, one user rang me and said she is not able to see her Team’s DL created on Exchange server. I thought it might be an Outlook related issue and instructed my team to investigate on it. After about 2 hours, my team came back with blank faces! The point to note is that this user is very recently migrated from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 (Exchange 2010 was very recently deployed here). Surprised, I started my investigations. Connecting to the user’s desktop, I ran some checks on Outlook (Cached/non-cached mode) and nothing helped.
I checked the Application logs of Exchange 2003 OAB server and found something that would interest any Administrator:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event Category: OAL Generator
Event ID: 9325
OALGen will skip user entry ‘Display Name’ in address list ‘Global Address
List’ because the SMTP address ” is invalid.
– Default Offline Address List
Bing and Google are my lifelines in crazy scenarios of such nature! But they let me down for much of the search results were pointing to Exchange 2007 and surprisingly, we don’t have any Exchange 2007 in our infrastructure. Someone even related this to Exchange 2010 we have. Checking the CAS logs, and I found logs of similar nature announcing that CAS is unable to process these entries.
After a bit digging with no avail, I gave up and thought Microsoft might help me (Ever used the the link in the event that says For more information, see Help and Support at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp?) The page for this event is here.
And surprisingly, I wasn’t cheated this time! 🙂 The following is an extract from the site:
This Error event indicates that the user account specified in the event description has not been included in an offline address list because of an incorrectly configured SMTP address. For example, an incorrectly configured SMTP address is an address that contains a dash “-“, an underscore “_”, or no characters after the @ symbol. Incorrectly configured SMTP addresses can occur in the following circumstances:
-> A script modified either a user’s primary SMTP proxy address attribute or e-mail address attribute. These attributes must match for a user to be added to an offline address list.
-> An administrator modified the e-mail address of a user on a computer that did not have the Exadmin.dll extensions loaded.
Ignorance can be a Bliss at times or a Curse otherwise!!
We have our L1 Help Desk team to create and manage Accounts & DLs and after the implementation of Exchange 2010 in the organization, they are asked to use Windows 2008 R2 servers for Administrative tasks that have only Exchange 2010 tools and Active Directory Management tools. I learnt that they made changes to DLs e-mail address using Active Directory Users and Computers like they usually did on for Exchange 2003 (no more Exchange related tabs on new servers and since “E-mail address” tab is missing, they made the changes to “General” tab thinking that it will take effect). Luckily, I had only few of the DLs reported and so, I quickly went and added the e-mail address in “General” tab as an additional SMTP Address.
For folks who discover it too late, OAB Integ might help you! See Microsoft KB907792.
If one of you ever had a chance to see this event, and find something else as the cause, comment here so that it might help others!