Exchange 2013 Public Folders – A step toward high availability & moving to Sharepoint
Public Folder which has always been hard to troubleshoot or you have problems in adding the replica or one of the subfolder you missed to replicate and other country office reporting the issue or checking event log for public folder hierarchy change or replication events. It has always been a pain area for system administrators.
Since the birth of Share Point, moving Public folders to share point has always been an available option but extra windows and sharepoint licensing cost did not allow all the organizations to choose this option.
After Exchange 2013 we can say bye to public folder database, so what has happened to the Public Folders. Let us have a deep drive into Public Folder Database changes here which might relax system administrator.
Exchange 2013 brings the following changes to Public Folders:
- Exchange 2013 does not have a public Folder database
- Exchange 2013 does not have any Public Folder replication
- Exchange 2013 still provide same Public Folders to the outlook users.
- Public Folder database has become a Public Folder mailbox.
- 1st Public Folder mailbox will be the root Public folder.
- 1st Public Folder mailbox will be writeable hierarchy mailbox and other will be read-only.
- Hierarchy sync is in the same way as 2010.
- Public Folder mailbox also replicates with the DAG replication
- We can have multiple small size Public Folder mailboxes.
- No Client update required. Outlook uses to keep in sync with Exchange, clients requests an update whenever required.
- Similar administrative feature to 2010
- Available in both deployments On-Premises and Office 365.
- We can have multiple Public Folder mailboxes per database.
- Multiple folders possible per Public Folder mailbox
- Public Folder mailbox will accept mailbox management cmdlets.
- Exchange 2007 and 2010 users can’t access Exchange 2013 Public Folders so migrate all mailboxes then Public folders.
Conclusion: Public Folder Database has been replaced by Public Folder Mailbox which will replication with DAG.
You can check the below blogs for Exchange 2013 migration
Exchange 2013 mailbox migration – http://msexchangeguru.com/2013/05/10/exchange2013-migration/
Exchange 2013 Public Folders Migration – http://msexchangeguru.com/2013/04/18/exchange2013-public-folders/
Prabhat Nigam | MVP | Exchange Server