Restore old mailbox for user migrated to exchange 2007 / 2010
This is not a complete article with screenshots, I’ll try to create one pretty soon.
1. Restore the old exchange 2003 database and bring it to a clean shutdown following this article
2. Mount the store in Recovery storage group and ensure you can see the mailbox in disconnected state along with the other mailboxes.
3. Dismount the RSG database
4. Log in to Exchange management console, find the user and grant full mailbox permissions to the account you are logged in with
5. Now login to ADSIEdit and navigate to the location of the database where the user resides right now
6. Right click and go to properties and copy the attribute “distinguished name” to a notepad
7. Now navigate to the location of the RSG database in ADSIEdit
8. Right click and go to properties and copy the attribute “msexchOrigMDB” to a notepad (just a backup)
9. Paste the value you copied in step number 6 (distinguished name of the E2K7 database) to the “msexchOrigMDB” attribute of the RSG database
10. Wait for 5 minutes and mount the RSG database
Now run ExMerge and create a PST for the user and it will work flawless.
Explanation: “msexchOrigMDB” is the attribute which tells an RSG database “which database to recover”. It will be the “distinguished name” of the mailbox store which we are attempting to restore by default. Here, we edit this to point it to the mailbox store in exchange 2007 user where the user is residing right now.
The process is no different if the user was moved to different Exchange 2003 database
Please feel free to get in touch with us if you find my “explanation” is confusing. I am just an email away !!!