Domino to Microsoft Exchange migration using NME 4.5
Lately I have been working on a migration plan from domino to exchange and thought it would be a good thing to create an article on it to help the community.
Even though there are multiple ways to perform migration from Domino to Exchange, I always found Quest to be the best.
I am going to assume that you have everything installed and the migration manager is up and running.
- Login to the NME server.
- Import the collection in the Quest Migrator
- Open Quest Migration manager from Startà All Programs à Quest Software à Quest Notes Migrator for Exchange àright click on Migration Manager and select run as administrator
- Select yes on the warning message
- Go to User Collections –> Manage à New Collection
6. Type a collection name and copy same to the label. Type date in the description.
> As Collection Name enter the date of the migration MonthDayYear (eg. 05132010)
> As Label enter the same of the Collection Name.
7. Click next and select “Import members from a .tsv file”.
8. Click next à Browse to the directory where we have copied the tsv file
9. Select the file and click finish, the process will import the user data and add it to the collection.
10. Go to “Locate Notes Data Store” in the Migration Manager and check DominoServerAddress column to see where the collection is going to link the mailboxes. If this is the correct server then leave as it is and move the step 6 but usually we keep a separate data migration server so we copy the nsf file to this server and change the configuration on the NME which we will be changing in further steps.
11. Export the Collection to TSV file
12. In Migration Manager from the list of the tasks on the left hand side select “User Collection” and then “Manage”.
13. Select the collection that has just been created, and select “Export Members to TSV”.
14. Use the collection name + MailFilePath as the file name: (eg. 05132010 MailFilePath)
15. Save the new TSV file in the Mail Path Modification folder on the desktop or your preferred location
16. Edit the TSV File
a. Open the exported file in Excel. If it is in readonly mode then you will have to copy this file to another desktop and open in Excel. In office 2010 tsv file opens without any issue.
b. If you are using old office version then you might need to run Import Wizard – Step 1 of 3 select Delimited
c. Select Next > then Finish
d. The far right column (Column S) is DominoServerAddress
e. Replace only the server name for each row with domino migration server name, but leave the rest of the information intact.
f. Copy the entire contents of the newly modified Column S (DominoServerAddress) into Column L (MailFilePath)
g. The column headings for Colum L and Column S should be MailFilePath, and DominoServerAddress but the contents of the columns should now be identical
h. Save and close the file.
17. Copy the file back to the NME server.
18. Import the Edited TSV file
19. In Migration Manager from the list of the tasks on the left hand side select “User Collection” and then “Manage”.
20. Select the collection that has just been created, and select “Import Members from TSV”
21. Select the modified TSV file.
22. The modified TSV file is imported to update the Domino Server Address and Mail File Paths. This may take several minutes.
23. After the TSV file has been imported, the Directory Export Wizard will quickly run.
24. Go to “Locate Notes Data Store” in the Migration Manager and check DominoServerAddress has been modified and showing correct migration server
25. Migrate the user mail data
a. Go to User Collections à Migrate User Data àSelect the user collection and click on migrate
b. We can use this feature to send an email to the user but most of the organization prefer to send separate mail from higher management which everyone read so ensure the send mail options are unselected. Click next
c. Select the migration options here, I would recommend migrating the below selection, click next. (this can be changed to the requirements)
d. Convert doc links to Notes .ndl. Click next.
e. Migrate through Domino server. Click next.
f. Select server based destinations as detailed above. Click next.
h. Configure mail data threshold to migrate all messages with no filter. Click next.
i. Specify the amount of migrations threads, click next.
j. Review the configuration summary, click next.
k. Select “Now on this computer” and click next
l. Migration in progress, once completed check the NME logs for warnings errors.
26. The migration should be ended after some time. Usually it takes 2-4 GB per hour but it varies depending on the hardware and network. Press Exit.
27. Now open user’s outlook and verify the data is available.