Export a certificate from Exchange 2007/2010 and Import in Exchange 2013
Some time back someone asked me how to Export a certificate from Exchange 2007/2010 and Import in Exchange 2013. So here you go…
Export the CERT
To export the certificate from Exchange 2007 follow the below steps
- Login to the exchange 2007 server
- Go to run and type mmc
- In MMC click file and select add/remove snap-in
- Select Certificates then Computer account
- Select Local Computer
- Click ok then ok.
- Now you will see certificate mmc
- Select Personal then certificates and select your cert
- Right click the certificate to export then select all tasks and Export
- Click next on the welcome screen
- Select “Yes, export the private key” then click next
- On the format page, make sure PFX is selected
- On the password screen type a password and confirm it then click next
- Give a locate to export the certificate then click next
- On the summary page click finish and certificate will be exported.
To export the certificate from Exchange 2010 follow the below steps
1. Open EMC
2. Go to Server Configuration
3. Select the server which has working certificate
4. In the right lower pane you will see the certificate.
5. Right click the certificate and select “Export Exchange Certificate”.
6. Browse a location, select pfx format and give password to the export file and click Export.
You will see this screen when export will finish
Copy the CERT
Now copy the certificate to Exchange 2013
Import the CERT
To Import a certificate in Exchange 2013 follow the below steps
1. Open EAC
2. Go to Server –> Certificates
3. Select your Exchange 2013 server
4. Click on … and select “Import Exchange certificate”
5. Give the location and password of the certificate. Then click next.
6. Select the server. Click on + sign then select the server and click add then click ok, then click Finish.
7. Now, the most important step is to see if your certificate is valid, see the screen below:
8. One certificate is install you can assign the services except SMTP because SMTP will use self sign certificate.
Select the cert, click on pen shape icon, click on services and select IIS then click on save.
9. You would need to reset IIS to make a proper use of this certificate.
This will assign new certificate to IIS. You can login to test the cert.
Microsoft MVP | Exchange Server