Exchange 2010: Outlook connection error MapiExceptionLowLevelInitializationFailure: ec=-2147467259 (0x80004005)
Today I faced an interesting permissions issue which was new to me so I am sharing my experience.
Outlook is unable to create new profile and stopped working.
Got the following error
“Cannot open your default email folders Microsoft exchange is not available. Either there are network problems or the exchange server is down for maintenance”
Exchange 2010 SP3
Outlook 2010 SP2
3 Server DAG with 2 datacenter active/active
DNS load balancing
- Create a host entry in the dns with the outlook anywhere name and pointing to the DB hosting server but no luck
- Create the same profile on different computers but no luck
- Tried creating different profile of same DB but no luck
- Configured outlook anywhere but no luck.
- Created new account in the same DB but no luck
- Tried outlook.exe in xp sp3 compatibility mode but no luck
- Moved DB to different DAG host but no luck
- Point to be noted my outlook was still connecting to the same server.
- Move the mailbox to different database and issue resolved.
- Point to be noted servername changed in the outlook profile
- Now I tested my test account on the same DB, it was still pointing to the same server and failing.
- Review the CAS log and got the following error. This log exist at C:program filesMicrosoftExchange ServerV14LoggingRPC Client Access
2014-04-09T23:25:38.157Z,2,1,/o=My Company/ou=ORG/cn=RECIPIENTS/cn=alias,,OUTLOOK.EXE,14.0.6117.5001,Classic,,,ncacn_http,,OwnerLogon,fault,00:00:00.1718717,”Logon: Owner, /o=My Company/ou=ORG/cn=RECIPIENTS/cn=alias in database DBNAME last mounted on ServerFQDN at 4/9/2014 11:17:20 PM, currently Mounted”,Watson: [MapiExceptionLowLevelInitializationFailure] MapiExceptionLowLevelInitializationFailure: ec=-2147467259 (0x80004005)
- Below event id also comes.
Log Name: Application
Source: MSExchange Common
Date: 4/8/2014 10:15:57 AM
Event ID: 4999
Task Category: General
Watson report about to be sent for process id: 1908, with parameters: E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 14.03.0123.004, M.E.RpcClientAccess.Service, M.Exchange.StoreProvider, M.M.ExRpcModule.Bind, M.Mapi.MapiExceptionLowLevelInitializationFailure, 26ae, 14.03.0123.002.
Finally I had started comparing the permissions on the disk and found C drive which was the exchange drive had local USERs group missing.
Check the same on other servers and added following permissions.
Group name: ComputernameUsers
Permissions: Read & execute
List folder contents
My profile started working.
Moved the user mailbox back to the same DB and it was working.
Outlook was using problem servername.
Someone mistakenly removed the permission on the Exchange installation drive. Don’t remove default permissions
Microsoft Solution Architect | Exchange Server