“Legacy Exchange Servers Decommission” Post Exchange 2013 Migration
It has been demanded from many of you to publish this part of the migration. So here you go!!
Transferring Exchange 2010/2007 roles to 2013
Below mentioned Blogs will help in transferring roles
Move the following roles before you uninstall Exchange 2010/2007 from your organization:
- Move all user mailboxes to Exchange 2013.
- Move all room mailboxes to Exchange 2013.
- Move all arbitration mailboxes to Exchange 2013.
- Move all Discovery Search mailboxes to Exchange 2013.
- Change the Client Access server FQDNs DNS host record to point to Exchange 2013 CAS/NLB/Windows NLB on both Public and Private DNS.
- Add exchange 2013 mailbox role servers in all the send connectors and remove the Exchange 2010/2007 servers.
- Move your relay receive connectors to Exchange 2013 mailbox servers means create new relay receive connectors and add source server IP and configure same security setting as 2010/2007 receive connectors.
- Ensure you have configured Autodiscover correctly at AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri properties if all CAS 2013.
- If you are using public folders, make sure all the public folders have been migrated to Exchange 2013 Public Folders mailbox.
- Remove Exchange 2010 CAS arrays. This cmd will help: ”Get-clientaccessarray | remove-clientaccessarray”
- Make a list of applications that may be using Exchange 2007/2010 and then make sure to configure these applications to start using Exchange 2013 if necessary.
Testing week without 2010/2007:
Shutdown all Exchange 2010/2007 servers for a week to test if their removal will cause any issue.
Remove Exchange Server 2010/2007
- Bring all legacy servers online means power start all servers which we shutdown in previous step.
- Remove all Public Folder replicas else Public Folder Database will not be removed.
- Remove Exchange 2010/2007 mailbox and Public folder databases from EMC or EMS then remove their files and folders.
- You can either run Exchange 2010/2007 Setup.com or go to Control Panel to remove Exchange 2007/2010. On Program and Features screen click on Uninstall. e Maintenance Mode page of the Exchange Server 2010/2007 Setup wizard begins the process of removing your Exchange installation. Click Next to continue.
- On the Server Role Selection page, uncheck in 2010/2007 all Exchange server roles and Exchange management tools to remove & in 2007 CCR remove passive node first then follow the same steps on active node. Click next to continue.
- On the Readiness Checks page, view the status to determine if the organization and server role prerequisite checks completed successfully. If the prerequisites check doesn’t complete successfully, review the Summary page and fix any issues that are preventing Setup from removing exchange 2010/2007. If the checks have completed successfully, click Uninstall to remove the entire installation of Exchange 2010.
- On the Completion page, click Finish.
- Remove the setup log files and folder located at c:\ExchangeSetupLogs.
- Remove the Internet Information Services (IIS) from remove role or add/remove program and features.
- Remove C:\inetpub folder.
- Remove any DNS entry left for CCR, DAG, NLB, Array, VIP, Autodiscover, OWA or anyother legacy DNS entry from internal and external DNS servers.
- Disjointed the legacy Exchange servers from the Domain.
That is it. You have removed all legacy Exchange servers from your Exchange ORG and AD Forest.
Microsft MVP | Exchange Server